When I was 20, I celebrated my birthday in rural Jamaica with no cake, no special celebration… simply myself and 59 other Greek students from Mizzou and the beautiful Jamaican jungle. One of my friends on the trip asked me to name 20 things I was thankful for in the past year and I struggled to do so. Since then, I’ve been more focused on gratitude and have continued this tradition. So here are, in no particular order, 24 things I’m thankful for that happened in the last year.
1. Running a marathon.
2. Making incredible new friends.
3. Traveling to Europe with my mom.
4. Moving into my first apartment.
5. Landing my first full-time job.
6. Loving my first full-time job (which is different than #5!).
7. Getting baptized.
8. Seeing the World Series trophy.
9. Feeling more confident on the worship arts team.
10. Going on a girls weekend to Tennessee with friends from elementary school.
11. Hiking a glacier.
12. Spending time with my college roommates, even though we live in 4 different cities.
13. Going on a girls weekend trip to Saugatuck.
14. Exploring Chicago with my roommate.
15. Seeing Coldplay in concert.
16. Visiting my alma mater for Homecoming.
17. Attending my Little’s wedding.
18. Seeing Hamilton.
19. Drinking Guinness in Ireland.
20. Hiking in Spain.
21. Seeing U2 in concert.
22. Walking Abbey Road.
23. Witnessing the last Cubs win of the year.
24. Learning to be resilient and joyful in all times, even the low points of life.
23 was an incredible year. It started off a little rocky- I didn’t have a job and I kept getting rejected from potential ones. But it ended with incredible perspective and experiences. I learned a lot about myself and about resilience this year. I’m excited to see what 24 has in store!