In 2017, one of my goals is to donate $20.17 each month to a different charity or cause that I’m passionate about. I’ll still feature other nonprofits and social enterprises in the Give Back section, but I wanted to share this challenge with you, as well. I hope I can introduce you to some great organizations and maybe even inspire you to join me in this monthly challenge!
Girls Inc. serves girls ages 6-18 across the country and in Canada. Their programs include:
- Economic Literacy – how to manage, invest and save money; helping others through philanthropy; the effects of the economy locally and globally
- Friendly PEERsuasion – learning to resist peer pressures; how to manage stress in healthy ways
- Leadership and Community Action – create social change in their communities through local projects
- Media Literacy – understanding how media affects women; learning how to advocate for change
- Operation SMART – developing enthusiasm for STEM fields through exploration and interacting with professionals in these careers
- Prevent Adolescent Pregnancy – educating sexual health, defining personal values and learning how to avoid pregnancy and STDs
- Project BOLD – teaching skills to lead safer lives such as self-defense and how to find resources in case of personal violence
- Sporting Chance – empowering girls with self-confidence and learning about healthy lifestyles through physical activities and sports
In addition to programing, Girls Inc. has a public policy arm that advocates for issues that impact girls, such as increasing educational opportunities in under-resourced areas and preventing sexual violence.
Header image taken from Girls Inc.’s Facebook page.